Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I'm a minority; boo-hoo

Early the other morning (about six a.m.) I wanted to visit 西子灣 beach. (Some clown insists on calling it Xiziwan; according to the detestable Tongyong pinyin, it should be called Sizihwan, but Wade-Giles Hsitzuwan seems to have stuck.) So I wanted to visit it, but the gatekeeper wouldn't let me in. He said I had to be a "member" (會員) even though he was letting every Taiwanese in (virtually all older types) without checking I.D.'s. In fact, I suspect they're not supposed to be open at all early in the morning; one morning I went last year or earlier, another guy warned me I couldn't stay too long. So much for being a visible minority. Maybe he was just trying to protect me? Anyway, I only wanted to wet my toes, and since I always wonder what the water is contaminated with (bacteria? nuclear waste? stuff dumped overboard by the ships?), I just went over to the breakwater, which is also supposed to be closed, although people ignore the warnings there.

I might have gone to Chi Chin (旗津 Qijin, as as that clown cited above calls it), a tiny part of which was open for swimming (free?) a couple of months ago, but instead I walked back home through the Yancheng district 鹽城區, which seems more derelict every time I go through there. Of course there were few people up; it was early. But there are so many abandoned buildings! For the first time I walked down to the port, which used to be closed, and saw "Fisherman's Wharf" (漁人碼頭), which didn't look like much early in the morning. The area looks like a good one for a night market, but of course they're prohibited there.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you have to be a local resident to get free access to certain areas like the beach and like Cheng Ching Lake Park. It would appear only you were being refused entry because the others would probably be regulars.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home